Home in Piazza del Popolo, Orvieto

Saturday

Villa Adriana (aka Hadrian’s Villa) – 16.4.2010

This villa was different than Villa D’Este. It was in more of a ruined state and occupied more land. The atmosphere was comparable to the one in Pompeii. Walking into the past using our imagination to put the existing clues together to see it for real. I was a little disappointed with how most of the famous and unique areas were now closed off, only to be seen from a distance. Wild flowers were beginning to cover the ground not trampled by the foot traffic of tourists. It was a wild bright red poppy. I could not help myself; I had to take one to join me for the rest of my visit through the site. It rode around on my right ear. It blended in with my outfit of red, blue and white shirt and my favorite red puma tennis shoes peaking out from my jeans. I made it to see the most famous view of the Villa, the naked warrior from behind with columns on either side of him with a huge green pool in front of him. Of course we all were making all kinds of jokes and interesting photos with him. I watched a small turtle sun bathing on the growth covered lights as huge ugly fish swam around in the green water for awhile. I took over a whole bench by laying down on my back. The weather was perfect for my relaxing nap under canopies of trees before we all left.

No comments:

Post a Comment