Home in Piazza del Popolo, Orvieto

Wednesday

Siena – 9.4.2010

Bright and early once again we take off in a snug bus to the city of Siena. We stepped off the bus on the northern side of the city at the fortress. Spring has definitely come out to grace us with her presence. The unobstructed sun warmed the skin. It was larger than I had expected as we walked to the city center. The streets were noticeably steeper than most streets in Orvieto. The buildings surrounding me as we travel to the Duomo are the burnt sienna color from the local brick. As we get closer to the Duomo the more tourists I saw. Then out of the blue around a corner a small piazza opened up a view to the front of the Baptistery in high contrasting black and white stone stripes. Shockingly there were crowds of people on the massive stairs to the left of the Baptistery and only a few couples in front of it. We walked down further and took a left when we reached an old hospital with beautiful pointed arch windows with tiny columns framing them. Once I tore myself away from looking at them I turned around and there it was, the Duomo. It was almost like dejavu. To me this was the big sister to the Duomo in Orvieto. They have similar features and characteristics, but the interior was much larger. The flooring is what caught my attention the most. The same stone as outside with some color mixed in now and then but the most unique detail was indentions on the white stone that appeared to be black dots. Once you look at the dots not as individual dots but part of a picture drawings appear, my favorite part. Another simple difference was the stain glass rose window and colored bottle glass windows around the Church. The Campo was full of people and all the noise that comes with them. It was amazing to see such a simple piazza being used by vendors, visitors, locals, dogs, birds etc. People did not find the paving to hard to sit on to enjoy the sunshine, atmosphere and people watching. One disappointing element was the fountain. What brought a frown to my face was that the metal fence meant to protect it instead just covered it up. I walked up to it even though it created an uninviting presence. When I approached I could finally see that the statues were she wolves. The fountain was simple not enticing me to stay long. As I began to turn my head away some pigeons flew in and landed on the fountain. One was thirsty creating the most unexpected site. It started drinking the water flowing out of the she wolf statue‘s mouth. It brought a smile to y face but not as big as the one a little girl in the Civic museum did earlier today. We went in and saw four rooms; an entrance hall, chapel, waiting hall and a room with frescos of good and evil regarding government. It was nothing special or different from most of the things I have seen so far. The barbarians, as Marco called them, were fascinated by the frescos on the walls all around us. As we began to break for the day I looked to the right back to the large hall we had spent about twenty minutes sitting on Barcelona benches earlier and that is when my heart smiled. I saw an adorable two year old brunette little girl in a pink dress and tiny shoes. She sat alone and content with the world, just to drink out of her bright blue sippy cup on a huge bench. She was there with her mother and grandmother I found out later. For lunch a small group, of seven, went to a small one room restaurant. The old man was unsure what to think of us as we waited to be seated at the front door. Once we parted our lips with Italian a grin appeared on his face and he began to seat us. The food was satisfying. Towards the later part of the afternoon I explored a little on my own looking for more souvenirs for my family and with some luck I found some. I also stopped in to a small shop Marco pointed out on our walking tour when he was telling us about Paneforte. Curiosity overwhelmed me causing me to buy a small one. That night I tried it but was not impressed. It did not make my top ten of favorite desserts I have had in Italy. The bread part was a sugary with a mushy texture and a strong flavor of liquor. The best part was the fresh whole nuts and fruit mixed in. The afternoon went by too fast. I wish I had more time there. To make departing easier I just told myself, “there is always next time.” Until then I will study up on the different contradas and what they stand for. Then when my family and I come back, hopefully in July or August for the Palio horse race I can have a contrada I identify with and to root for. We have to. There is no question about it, especially since we inherited my late grandfather’s race horse, Rose Dash, and one of her colts. Through them we have learned a good deal more about horses. My brother has even researched the races that Rose Dash used to run in and the culture surrounding racing. I know my mother and brother would appreciate it the most. I am sure it would be an unforgettable experience to attend Il Palio with my family. If only my grandfather could be there to share it with us, but he will be there in spirit and enjoying from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment