Home in Piazza del Popolo, Orvieto

Monday

Concert in the Duomo – 5.4.2010

I arrived back in Orvieto just in time for the concert in the Duomo at 17:30. Tourists were everywhere and buses were parked by the Duomo which has been unusual activity for Orvieto. Despite the cold and rain people waited outside of the Duomo to get good seats when they opened the doors to let in the attendees. I have never seen the Duomo lit up this way, with blue lights in the niches and reddish orange lights on the columns. It was beautiful. Occupied chairs covered the floor and those who did not have seats stood in the remaining spaces not taken up by camera crews. I sat on the far side with some friends unable to see the orchestra in front of the altar due to the massive columns and hundreds of heads in front of me. This is the fullest I have ever seen this church compared to the weekly masses I attend. We all waited about an hour before the concert began. My favorite music they played was Bach, mostly because it reminded me of my days in high school band playing the flute. Surprisingly the acoustics were not awful. The robust and clear music was perfect for the grandiose setting. The very first not gave me chills. As I sat listening to the musicians I was able to get a better look at the Duomo, noticing the capitals are all different but only one is noticeably different but only one is noticeably different with a square section instead of octagonal. I also began to truly appreciate the multiple uses this Cathedral serves. They are not letting this gorgeous building go to waste. Halfway through we got up and moved closer and stood to watch the last half. Above the sea of heads I saw the conductor in his black tux with his baton gracefully cutting through the air. Behind him was an army of violinists with their bows shooting up and down in sync. It was the perfect closing event for my first Easter season in Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment