Home in Piazza del Popolo, Orvieto

Wednesday

Carlo Scarpa’s Brion Tomb and Cementary – 10.3.2010

Hearing so much about this famous work of scarpa and now knowing how much I admire his work I was just excited to see what the spaces he created feel like and try to pick out all the little but meaningful details. It is still snowing as we walk down the long gravel path lined with trees to the grave yard. He did not disappoint. One of my favorite experiences I have had here in Italy. We waited, in the cold snow and rain because the weather could not make up its mind, for a custodian to come and open up two spaces for us. This janitor was no ordinary one, he was working here as a young boy when Scarpa was designing and building it. We were able to ask him questions and he would know the answer. This helped me understand how detailed everything was around us. Everything he did had a reason and meaning. What amazed us all was a large white wall broken up by a few horizontal and vertical lines turned into a large door opening up a place of worship with an altar. Seeing his work has definitely given me more inspiration to continue down this career path I have choosen.

No comments:

Post a Comment