Home in Piazza del Popolo, Orvieto

Monday

There Is No Place Like Home – 20.3.2010

I used to dream about living abroad permanently. How wonderful it would be, a fairy tale. Well, having my taste of living abroad for two months now I can safely say No. There are too many things I need that only home can provide; family, friends, food, and some aspects of the American culture. I realized this sitting in La Salsa, a small Mexican restaurant in Galway. I had joined my friends knowing better. Growing up with fresh homemade Mexican food there is no way I would be satisfied with what they will serve. There restaurant name was salsa but they did not have any and I don’t mean the dancing. They had a tomato paste with a pinch of a spice to it, absolutely awful not hot at all or flavorful. My friends’ disappointment made me wish I could only get some hot peppers and cilantro in Orvieto to make some salsa for them. At that moment it hit me, I love America because it is a melting pot. We have so many different kinds of people with their own sub culture. Plus that is how we got so many types of food we eat on a regular basis; Mexican, Italian, Cuban, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, American, Irish, Indian, etc. Ireland is similar but not America. Italy has hardly a variety at all but why should they, they are Italy. USA also has a wide variety of climates and environments were we can live and work you just have to figure out which is best for you. I am currently on that journey and hopefully within a year I will have a better understanding at the least enough to have picked a place to start my career. We will have to see, but now I know for sure it will be in America. That eliminates a ton of choices already, the rest of the world. It will just have to be my escape, I love seeing new places, experiencing new things and learning more about other places, cultures and societies. I just can’t stay there for multiple years at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment