Home in Piazza del Popolo, Orvieto

Sunday

SOCCER!

Sunday are known for futbol games at least to fans of the sport. Since I am one of those fans I wanted to see today’s game. Luckily I met a nice girl who told me where I could go to watch the game, Café del Corso. A group of us arrived and the game is just beginning and all the good seats are already taken by the local fans. EXCITING! The only emotion I had room for when I saw them. I ordered a glass of wine as kick off started. This is good futbol, especially when it was between the two Milan rival teams. I gathered from the sounds of the fans in the bar that they were mostly AC Milan fans. Later that assumption was confirmed by a nice older gentleman standing next to me at the bar. Everyone was quiet, intensely watching the game. There were hardly any side conversations except of course when as usual the refs made a bad call. Half time hit and most of the crowd went outside for a smoke break. At first I thought I had missed something, was the game over, where is everyone going, what awful fans. Then I realized they just needed a smoke, their team was down by one(0-1). Everyone came back in reclaiming their seats and I was still trying to finish my glass of wine. Well, it lasted me the whole game. I was thoroughly enjoying the generally quiet company of the local people who shared a love of mine. The game ended 0-2. Grumbling groans added to footsteps, chairs sliding, glasses clinking was the sound of the defeated fans accepting what they saw and beginning to move on. They were definitely real fans in my book. Loud yelling, screaming, cussing, throwing things etc does not change anything and only shows how immature you are, a child throwing a temper tantrum. I think I could get used to handing out with such incredible people.

No comments:

Post a Comment