Home in Piazza del Popolo, Orvieto

Sunday

Duomo: My First Mass - 24.1.2010

This morning was hard to get out of bed. The night before a group of us went to our favorite bar, the Blue Bar, for appetizers and drinks. A good time practicing our Italian, well trying to, and meeting new people. Knowing today was Sunday, my first Sunday here, got me out of bed. Today I would attend mass in the Duomo. I have dreamed about what mass in a Historic church in Italy would be like and today it will no longer be a dream, I will know. It was gorgeous inside, lighting made the frescos glow, the music bouncing around filling everyone’s ears with calm sweet music, the smell of incense in the air as people took there seats. The mass was what I was used to only in another language which I hope and pray by the time I leave I will be able to fully participate knowing what the priest says in his homily. Once it ended it was nice to turn around and walk out the massive doors thinking about all the other Catholics before me who attended masses here and walked through those doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment