Home in Piazza del Popolo, Orvieto

Wednesday

First Impressions - 20. 1. 2010

Land of beauty. A sunny cold day, but Gorgeous! The bus ride to Orvieto from Rome was the first time I saw Italian country side with my own eyes. Green rolling hills, blue sky, with moutains in the distance. Speedy cars on highways like home, giving me a feeling of comforatble familularity. Dispite all the traveling I was excited when I stepped off the bus in Orvieto. My apartment on the Piazza del Popolo had its own charm. Through the window bright sunlight bounced off the white walls to showcase the unique apartment. The layout and features matched what I had invisioned, but interestingly enough there was no living room. Doubt it will be a problem, I am used to hanging out with family and friends in the kitchen anyway. Later I walk the cobblestone streets passing locals chit chatting away like any normal day here. I try to absorb as much of the atmosphere surrounding as possible. The smell is one thing that will forever stick with me, the smell of wood burning like a fireplace or bbq pit. During the day it is relatively quiet until about 7pm when the streets are filled with couples, groups of teenagers, families, friends all walking at a leisurely pace enjoying their surroundings. Narrow streets lit by yellow orange glowing street lights and shop signs. Delicious pizza at a pizzeria owned by an adorably kind man concluded the first day. My overall first impression is Peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment