Home in Piazza del Popolo, Orvieto

Tuesday

Leaving Forever Changed – 8.5.2010


I am not sure what to say. Four months, fourteen field trips, four projects, one journal, thousands of pictures and countless memories worth every penny is what comes to mind. Yesterday, I sent two medium size boxes fall of souvenirs for family and friends and a few extra things. Today I packed my backpack preparing to leave Orvieto. This made waking up today unreal. So much has happened and now it is time to say goodbye. Eating our favorites at some great places and seeing some amazing people we got to know well here, one last time. I am ready, more than ready to go home but will miss this adorable cozy town. I still can’t believe I have been in Italy studying for four months. I had always dreamed about going, what it would be like and how I would feel. The time is flying by making this feel like a dream I have not awaken from. Yet this has been so different than what I had previously imagined. It feels like just yesterday when I started college with a couple goals in mind, graduate and study abroad. Now I am twenty-two and so much has happened in a blink of an eye and now my little brother will be joining me at KSU. This has proven we should listen to your elders. They have been there before and are right about how fast life goes. I we all need to enjoy every morning sun, song bird, breeze, laugh, meal, hug, rainy day, walk down the street, and breath we take before it passes and becomes only a memory. At about 11a.m. on a typical Saturday in Orvieto I load up my back with my backpacking bag and another army looking duffel on my left shoulder. Then I squeezed through the narrow blue painted thick wood door for the last time. I make my way through the market receiving all kinds of strange looks. A left on the Corso I head down to the Funiculare station in Piazza Cahn. With every step I say goodbye as a guitarist plays typical Italian folk music in the street for money. I am sure I looked like a fool loaded down as much as a pack mule yet walking with a smile on my face. The whole train ride towards Moiano I could not believe all I have done and seen in these four months that felt like a couple of weeks. Now I am gone. I am moving on to three cities in three different countries. I only pray that the ash cloud does not interfere too much so that I may make it home in time for my brother’s graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment