Home in Piazza del Popolo, Orvieto

Saturday

Florence Rendevue – 28.2.2010

A small group of us made the 10am train on Saturday to Firenze just in the nic of time. Each with different motives , mine was to see some of my closest friends studying at St. Chiara a small study abroad program close to Florence. The other perks were I would be traveling with a group, get a chance to dance and meet new people from K-state studying with my friends. It was a enjoyable train ride with fun and lively conversation. I did not have set plans except for looking for souvenirs for my family and continuing my many years search for a good pair of boots. I ended up shopping around with a new friend I made in Orvieto. She is working as a teacher there for a year before she goes back to school in England. It is similar to a mixture between internship and study abroad program. The one on one time allowed us to get to know each other better, learn each others tastes, and personalities. That is when I stumbled upon a small shop hidden behind one of many streets with the white tent vendors. There I was easily talked into buying a pair of boots. The shopkeeper was nice giving me pointers on when and how to wear them and personable asking about us. Her and I were able to have some fun conversations with other people we met walking the streets. One was a photographer who wanted us to look up his work online and giving him our opinion. It will be interesting to see the work he has done especially after getting a taste of his personality just talking to him. Later was dinner with a group of guys from St. Chiara and our group at a cozy restaurant. We sat at a large table; it had to in order to fit 13 of us, underground surrounded by stone in an old wine cellar. Our excitement to see each other was obvious though our multiple conversations going on all at once with people popping in and out of them frequently. I enjoyed observing the quick witty banter across the table as they told fun stories about their Italian experience. More bonding occurred back at the hostel before we went out with dancing and drinks in mind. I wanted to wear my new boots I just bought but did not have much to wear with them. With the encouragement of my roommates they help me break out of my shell a bit more to try something new. Out on the town I went in a navy blue stretchy shirt, solid black tights, black coat, a few accessories I had bought earlier, and the star of the outfit was tall brown boots. I have seen this kind of dress on Italians everywhere I look but since I was not used to this style of dress on myself I was continually pulling the shirt down stretching it to the extreme. I was told I could pull it off, but it is just not me. I had a good time this whole trip getting to know this great group of guys. Not being able to meet up with my friends due to phone problems turned out well. The trip was not a waste thanks to the guys being friendly enough to all me to join them for a bit since they were doing things I was interested in. It was nice to hear different opinions and discuss the art we saw at the Strozzi. This trip I was able to do a lot of self discovering.

No comments:

Post a Comment